ICC Suspends Gbagbo’s Release, Says Prosecutor May Appeal
The International Criminal Court (ICC) says it has suspended the release of Laurent Gbagbo, former president of Côte d’Ivoire, pending the prosecutor’s submission on the judgement passed on Tuesday.
Earlier on Tuesday, the ICC acquitted Gbagbo of all charges, despite the death of 3,000 Ivorians in 2010/2011.
The ICC in a statement mailed to TheCable said the office of the prosecutor will make submissions on the Gbagbo judgement on Wednesday.
“In a decision this morning, two of the three Judges of Trial Chamber I of the Court in the case against Messrs Laurent Gbagbo and Charles Blé Goudé, decided to acquit them of crimes against humanity we allege they committed based on the evidence my Office collected through its independent and objective investigations,” the ICC office of the prosecutor said.
“The Judges have made their decision. The Prosecution has the right to appeal this decision. This situation involved allegations of serious crimes under the Rome Statute committed in the Côte d’Ivoire.
“We will be carefully analysing the written decision of the Trial Chamber I and its reasons when they become available and assess the appropriate next steps.”
Fatou Bensouda, the prosecutor, said “the release of Messrs Gbagbo and Blé Goudé has been suspended until tomorrow morning when the Prosecution intends to make submissions on the matter before the Trial Chamber I of the Court”.
Seh added that the ICC “investigations in the Côte d’Ivoire continue”.
“We remain committed to our mandate under the Rome Statute and will continue to honour it. As we do, my Office is vigorously dedicated to doing its part, with the plight of the victims in Côte d’Ivoire foremost and always on our minds.”
Follow us on Twitter at @thesignalng
Copyright 2019 SIGNAL. Permission to use portions of this article is granted provided appropriate credits are given to www.signalng.com and other relevant sources.