News

Rivers Govt Outlaws IPOB, Places N50m Bounty On Wanted Stanley Mgbere

The Rivers State government has outlawed the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB).

Governor Nyesom Wike made the announcement in a state-wide broadcast on Friday in Port Harcourt, following reports of violence in parts of the state.

He blamed the proscribed group for the recent attacks on some Local Government Areas (LGAs), especially in Oyigbo LGA.

The governor also declared one Stanley Mgbere from Onne in Eleme LGA wanted and placed a bounty of N50 million on him. The money will be paid to any person who can provide credible information that would lead to his arrest and prosecution.

He promised to sign an executive order to effect the proscription of IPOB in the state, adding that he would meet with communities and stakeholders to ensure prompt implementation in collaboration with security agencies.

On Wednesday, the Rivers State Police Command said IPOB members killed two of its personnel and burned two police stations in Oyigbo LGA.

Following fears of fresh mob attacks in the area, troops of the Nigerian Army and policemen were deployed there to maintain the peace.

Despite the security presence, gunshots rent the area from Thursday night till Friday morning, as soldiers repelled the hoodlums.

____

Follow us on Twitter at @thesignalng

Copyright 2020 SIGNAL. Permission to use portions of this article is granted provided appropriate credits are given to www.signalng.com and other relevant sources.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related

News

The Federal High Court in Abuja has given the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu, until November 5, 2025, to...

News

ABUJA—The National Chairman of All Progressives Congress, APC, Alhaji Abdullahi Ganduje, and Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, FCT, Mr Nyesom Wike, yesterday, said...

News

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Mr Nyesom Wike, has urged contractors executing different projects in the territory to deliver within the...

Big Story

Federal Capital Territory FCT minister, Nyesom Wike on Thursday dismissed social media reports that he collapsed last week, describing the reports as the handiwork...

Copyright ©

Exit mobile version