By Favour Afolabi
Crazy stuff – I see tons of APC guys all over the place claiming “this is a Bill by the Senate not the APC or Buhari” even as most of them refuse to tell you what their own position on the bill is!
This is most ridiculous:
1. You claim APC is the majority party in the Senate and you fight to ensure the party holds that majority and that no one undermines
2. Then when that Senate in which the Party forms the majority fastforwards the reading of such an archaic bill even as it was sponsored by “Shariast member of the APC” in the name of Na’Allah you claim “it is not an APC Bill but a Private Bill”
3. Yet this “Private Bill” has now gone thru second reading at the Senate dominated by the APC
4. Only a few days before/after this bill was being considered “the mouthpiece of the Government headed by APC/Buhari” being Lai Mohammed had gathered bloggers in Lagos telling them “Self-Regulate”
5. Yet many of these APC folks insist “Buhari has nothing to do with the Bill” – one of these guys even said “Saraki is behind this bill; he wants Nigerians to despise APC so he can lead others to defect to PDP” – believe such crap at the expense of your own intelligence, if you must!
Only yesterday, Dino Melaye posted a number of tweets daring bloggers on the Bill; insisting it is the eight thing to do; daring to “finish one of them” in a live debate that was on TV speaking against the bill – the arrogance of Power has fully set in – some Nigerians have created these Monsters – and they are apparently harmless and clueless about taming it! Sad!
Then it gets worse – these APC guys are living in abject denial – they say “they are not in support of the bill” yet they don’t come out openly to complain about the bill – when they see you complain of the bill, they quickly begin to attack you – if you claim “you’re not in support of the bill” why then do you fight those that are opposing it? As they engage you on this, th also attempt to water down the effects of the bill “as not so much for a big deal.”
Dilemma – that’s the word – most of these folks are caught between the Devil and the Blue Sea – they are disappointed in this RUBBISH called APC yet they find it difficult to express this in public – and they must remain politically correct so as to be seen to still be consistent in their support for APC!
Secretly, they actually want this bill to be passed because they feel when such happens, the PDP bloggers would be largely silenced, thereby making th work of defending this Buhari government to be easier for them to do while hoping they would be given preferential treatment under the same law – that sounds more like daydreaming – because Melaye was even making reference to SaharaReporters a possible target of this law.
This is by far the worst state of self-deceit that a man can put himself – sorry o!
Favour can be contacted on Twitter via @favourafolabi
Inspired by Steve Biko’s ‘I Write What I Like‘, OP-UNEDITED is the citizen opinion segment of SIGNAL. All opinions posted on the OP-UNEDITED page are unedited and the raw opinions of the writers.
Do you have an opinion on any topic whatsoever and you want it published to reach a wide audience? Send it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow us on Twitter at @thesignalng
Copyright 2015 SIGNAL. Permission to use portions of this article is granted provided appropriate credits are given to www.signalng.com and other relevant sources.