By Kingsley Kanayo
A former Minister of Women Affairs and Social Development, Hajia Zainab Maina has said that Nigerian youths and women were brainwashed by the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) in the March 28, 2015 presidential elections.
Hajia Maina who sits as a member of the PDP Board of Trustees disclosed this on Thursday while speaking at her party’s National Conference in Abuja.
According to Maina, the youths were nowhere to be found in President Buhari’s cabinet after they had been used for the elections. As for the women, “only a few made it to the cabinet”, she noted.
The PDP, in efforts to reposition itself after its March 28, 2015 loss at Nigeria’s presidential polls organized the National Conference.
A communiqué issued by the party after the end of the conference resolved as follows:
- That the PDP at all levels shall continue to ensure credible, robust and issue-based opposition, while promoting harmonious relationship among all people and ensuring that citizens’ confidence in democracy does not wane.
- Conscious of the imperative of a quick PDP rebound, the Conference called for the immediate implementation of the recommendations of the PDP Post Election Review Committee Report, especially those relating to zoning, internal democracy, e-registration and the restructuring of the party at all levels with a view to giving the Party back to the rightful owners – the people.
- Condemned in strongest terms the growing authoritarianism of the APC-led Federal Government which has been characterized by gross violation of human rights, constitutional infractions, invasion of a governor’s lodge and private homes, deliberate interference and instigation of crisis in the legislature, arm-twisting of the judiciary, undermining of democratic institutions like INEC, nepotism in appointments, abuse of power and clamp down on opposition elements.
- Noted the sudden decline in the economy and quality of life of Nigerians, occasioned by the lack of direction of the APC government, in addition to the growing tension and rancour in the polity as direct consequences of the divisive tendencies of the present administration.
- Denounced the prevailing selective application in the fight against corruption targeted at opposition elements and perceived opponents of the regime, while APC members with corruption charges are being rewarded with ministerial positions and other juicy appointments as well as APC tickets in the forthcoming governorship elections in Kogi and Bayelsa states.
- Vehemently rejected the current manipulation of the judiciary and security forces by the APC-led Federal Government in its desperate bid to subvert the sovereign will of the people and forcefully take over states genuinely won by the PDP in the last general elections and ultimately impose a one-party state in Nigeria.
- Charged the new INEC leadership to assert the independence of the electoral body, resist all external influences and ensure free, fair and credible electoral process in Kogi and Bayelsa states and other future elections, as the PDP will NOT ACCEPT any results that do not reflect the true wishes and aspirations of the people, particularly in Kogi and Bayelsa states.
- Resolved to further expand the inclusion and the role of youths in Party programmes and policies, and take steps to guarantee representation in Party organs, develop roadmap for a vibrant youth participation and support concession for electoral contests.
- Unanimously commended the tenacity, commitment and dedication of the National Working Committee for rising to the challenge and holding forth at the most trying period in the history of our Party.
- Appreciated members of the National Executive Committee (NEC), the Board of Trustees (BoT), PDP Governors Forum, PDP Caucus in the National Assembly as well as other elected and appointed officers on the platform of the Party at all levels for their loyalty, commitment and unqualified selfless support to keep the flag of the Party flying in spite of the inclement political environment imposed by the fascist APC regime.
- Called on all organs of the Party to commence preparations for the National Convention scheduled for March 2016 and prior to that, Congresses at the Zonal, State, Local Government and Ward levels of the Party.
- Called on the international community to note the growing impunity, abuse of power, constitution infractions, violation of human rights, selective war against corruption, clamp down on the opposition, divisiveness and overall high-handedness; tendencies that pose great threat to our democracy and unity as a nation.
Follow us on Twitter at @thesignalng
Copyright 2015 SIGNAL. Permission to use portions of this article is granted provided appropriate credits are given to www.signalng.com and other relevant sources.