Santi Cazorla Injury Setback ‘disastrous’ for Arsenal – Wenger
Arsene Wenger has admitted Santi Cazorla’s latest injury setback is “disastrous news” for Arsenal and revealed he is unsure when the midfielder could return to first-team action.
Cazorla stated on Twitter on Wednesday that he had undergone yet another operation on the troublesome Achilles injury which has sidelined him since October 2016.
The 32-year-old has had at least nine surgical procedures in the last year as he bids to recover from a problem which is increasingly threatening his career.
Cazorla is continuing his convalescence in Spain and insisted his comeback is motivated by a “great passion” to play football but Wenger said: “That [operation] is for me, the disastrous, sad news of the day. I feel really sorry for Santi. He is a guy I admire, that we all love here, who came into training every day with a smile because he loved so much the game.
“For him not to be available for us, it is a big blow. But for him, as well, it is something that is difficult to take and I hope despite what happened … I don’t know exactly well. I have been informed medically but I have not read any report.”
Wenger told Standard Sport earlier this month that Cazorla’s injury was “the worst I have ever known” but was adamant the Spaniard could still be available early in the New Year as was initially hoped.
“I hope he will be alright and back with us in January,” said the Gunners boss. “That was planned originally. I don’t know what happened in the surgery. I don’t know if it will put him back or not. I have to speak to the doctor on Thursday morning.”
Follow us on Twitter at @thesignalng
Copyright 2017 SIGNAL. Permission to use portions of this article is granted provided appropriate credits are given to www.signalng.com and other relevant sources.