Preparations in Top Gear for Ekwueme’s Burial Friday
Preparations are in top gear for this Friday’s burial of Second Republic Vice President Alex Ekwueme.
A visit at the weekend to the family compound of the Ekwuemes in Oko, Anambra State indicated upbeat preparation for the rites of passage to the late octogenarian.
Agents of the federal and state governments were seen tiding up necessary things to a successful outing.
It was learnt that governors from the South East region had pledged full support for the programme.
Briefing newsmen in Oko, the Minister of Labour and Employment, Dr. Chris Ngige, said the Federal Government was doing everything possible to ensure that Ekwueme gets a befitting burial.
The minister, who doubles as chairman of the burial committee, added: “The President is doing more than the ordinary, to give the former vice president a befitting burial.”
Ngige said the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) had been directed to maintain the roads leading to the hometown of the departed leader, noting that work was ongoing.
He also told newsmen that the tomb of Ekwueme was being constructed by the Federal Government, just as funds had been disbursed to the family to perfect logistics.
The minister, who promised to return tomorrow, expressed satisfaction with the pace of work. He, however, urged the contractors to deliver on schedule.
Follow us on Twitter at @thesignalng
Copyright 2018 SIGNAL. Permission to use portions of this article is granted provided appropriate credits are given to www.signalng.com and other relevant sources.